Friday, December 31, 2010

NO RESOLUTIONS!


In Boston it's New Year's Eve, but here in the Philippines where I'm on vacation, it's 8:50 a.m. on New Year's Day and I find myself thinking of highlights of the past year with tremendous gratitude. I refuse, you see, to make New Year's resolutions. Instead I want to make a gratitude list, and though each day I could probably list a dozen things for which I'm thankful, when looking back over the course of 2010 some amazing experiences stand out in my mind and make me sadder than usual to see a year pass, though deeply happy too for the blessings it brought.

New Year Gratitude List, 2011

2010 brought me...

10. Christmas with my parents and one of the best New Year's Eves I've had with my husband, kids, and favorite cousin - a beach party in beautiful Boracay.
9. The chance to meet a favorite composer.
8. A visit to relatives in Russia and the opportunity to learn more about this amazing country.
7. The chance to see friends I hadn't seen in YEARS, in New York and St. Petersburg, and to deepen friendships with those close by.
6. A relaxed afternoon in Bryant Park with my family, followed by an unforgettable meeting with one of my daughter's artistic role models.
5. A memorable trip to Maryknoll with one of my favorite cousins and the opportunity to talk to someone who has seen and experienced more than most in her 92 years.
4. The production of a life-changing concert which also brought new friendships and insights.
3. My daughter singing a very moving solo at a performance we worked hard to produce.
2. Moments with my husband I'll always treasure - watching floating lanterns over the beach on New Year's Eve, leaning toward each other on a train from Manhattan to Tarrytown whispering quietly about a special shared memory, and other seemingly small buy very meaningful moments.
1. The continued health and growth, physical and intellectual, of two beautiful, wonderful, compassionate, joyful children.

For these and so many other things, I am thankful. Now on to my bucket list... :)

1 comment:

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Wow - that's some year! What a good idea - to reflect back on ones accomplishments and the high points. I think I may borrow this one....