Monday, January 4, 2010

Welcoming 2010 with a Book Meme


On our way out of Boston I was pleased to note that The Help by Kathryn Stockett, my favorite book after To Kill a Mockingbird (which is in a class by itself), was being prominently displayed at the book shop at Logan Airport's international terminal.

I'm in the middle of another really good book during this winter vacation, so I thought I'd start off the year with a post about books. I got this from Señor Enrique who writes the blog Wish You Were Here:

Please share

  • One book that changed your life.
  • One book you have read more than once.
  • One book you would want on a desert island.
  • One book that made you laugh.
  • One book that made you cry.
  • One book you wish had been written.
  • One book you wish had never been written.
  • One book you are currently reading.
  • One book you have been meaning to read.

I'm not tagging anyone - I just feel like doing this, and anyone who feels like it too can join me. Or not.

Here are my answers:

One book that changed your life. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt.

One book you have read more than once. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

One book you would want on a desert island. I'm with Señor Enrique on this. Some kind of survival manual. Besides that, the complete works of Charles M. Schulz.

One book that made you laugh. The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz.

One book that made you cry. The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory. Don't ask me why. It's not a sad book.

One book you wish had been written. The Autobiography of Jesus Christ.

One book you wish had never been written. Anything that has bolstered racism, the oppression of women, the abuse of children, or totalitarianism.

One book you are currently reading. The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. Really absorbing, and I'm sad that I'll be finishing it here because it means I won't have it to read on the plane on the way back to the U.S.

One book you have been meaning to read. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe.

3 comments:

Jg. for FatScribe said...

great post, T.!

i love books ... they mean so much to me and my two sons. here's a first for me: i finished michael chricton's novel Pirate Latitudes (the last novel he completed, found in his personal files shortly after his death) over the Christmas Holiday, and then this weekend after church i gave it to my 12-yr old son to read. he was just so excited to have a book given to him to read -- one that dad just read. it was very cool for both of us.

;)

Jo said...

Wow - these are a lot harder than I thought! Here's my responses :-)

* One book that changed your life.
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. It was the first sci-fi book that I read, and it set me on the sci-fi path with a vengeance, which ultimately led to me meeting my husband :-)

* One book you have read more than once.
Most of my book collection! The one I have probably re-read the most is Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett

* One book you would want on a desert island.
The complete book of self-sufficiency by John Seymour - it may be UK-centric, but has some great ideas for setting yourself up for a long stay!

* One book that made you laugh.
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - so full of puns and jokes - I couldn't stop giggling throughout.

* One book that made you cry.
The Book Thief by Markus zusak. Do *not* read the last couple of chapters of this whilst on public transport...

* One book you wish had been written.
Anything with my name as the author (I'm working on it!)

* One book you wish had never been written.
Any books which lead people into hatred, whether of another person, a religion or a race. Any books which stop people thinking for themselves but just have a "do what I tell you" message.

* One book you are currently reading.
Ok - this one is a bit embarrassing - I'm currently reading the Star Wars Atlas. It was given to me by my sister for Christmas, and I've just finished all of my other new books!

* One book you have been meaning to read.
A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth. I actually own this, and started to read it, but never finished it (I was too young to get the references and understand it) - I must get round to finishing it one day!

Anonymous said...

There's food for thought in the new year! Wow...
One book that changed your life: Black Boy by Richard Wright. I was walking through the library as a young teen and nearly ran into it protruding from a shelf. It looked interesting, so I checked it out. It was one of the first books that really moved me.

One book that you have read more than once: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I get something new from it every time I pick it up and there are some lines that I think of almost daily.

One book you'd want on a desert island: the Bible. Or perhaps an appropriate field guide to local species.

One book that made you laugh: Sheep in a Jeep. I have kids after all.

One book that made you cry: Malinche's Daughter by KM Otero. A dear friend's journey of discovery and healing.

One book you wish had been written: the story of a culture that thrives by prioritizing taking care of one another over material wealth or power.

One book you wish had never been written: I'm with T. Well said.

One book you are reading: *sigh* wish I were...

One book you have been meaning to read: so many... Blindsided by Grace: Entering the world of disability by Robert Molsberry. And it may be time to revisit Heart of Darkness...