6. We have to be able to work quickly and do many things at once.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a rectangular (9 x 13) baking pan.
- Cream together 1 stick (1/2 cup) of salted butter with 1 cup of sugar (if I use unsalted butter, I add a couple of pinches of salt to the batter with the other dry ingredients).
- Add 1 tsp of vanilla.
- Add 5 eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together 1 1/2 c cup flour with 1 tsp baking powder and add to batter a little bit at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for half an hour.
- Poke holes in cake with a fork after removing from oven. Cool.
- Mix together 1 14-oz can fat-free sweetened condensed milk, 2 5-oz cans (or 1 12-oz can) of evaporated milk, and 2 c regular milk. Pour over cake and let sit till milk sauce is absorbed. (Rate and degree of absorption will depend on the number and size of holes poked. If there is any milk sauce left over, pour off the top into a gravy boat and use as sauce for the cake.)
- Serve with whipped topping (1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 3/4 to 1 c sugar, 1 tsp vanilla) and fresh fruit if desired, or enjoy as is.