Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Music Competition Unlike Any Other

One of my friends recently told me about the film Meetings with Remarkable Men, (supposedly) about the life of G.I. Gurdjieff (about whom I know absolutely nothing), and I was so blown away by the opening scene, in which men playing ancient wind instruments or doing some overtone singing (!) participate in a contest to make the giant rocks around a particular valley "ring." The contest itself is riveting, and the handing out of the award (seen in Part 2) is, in my opinion, worth the wait.



This movie was musically fascinating. It had me thinking playfully that maybe I had a past life in Central Asia somewhere. That would account for my attraction to Russia, old reed instruments, and the music and cuisine of the region, wouldn't it? :)

No comments: