Sunday, May 23, 2010

Oboe Feast Day


The music director at my church says the sound of the oboe is supposed to represent the Holy Spirit - perhaps one reason he invited a wonderful oboist to play for Pentecost liturgy today.

My favorite piece for oboe, Ralph Vaughan Williams' Concerto for Oboe and Strings, contains several moments that sound Spirit-filled to me (the opening of the third movement, for example), so I'm posting it today, played by the incomparable Celia Nicklin.

As I listen I'm trying to reflect today on the symbols of the Spirit - wind and fire - and think of the things that "set me on fire" or "catch my breath":

  • the people I love
  • music
  • dance
  • the written word
  • learning languages
  • teaching
  • learning
  • working with others to create something special
  • the desire to combat injustice

The concerto:









You can also listen right on Youtube through these links: first movement, 2nd movement, 3rd movement.

No comments: