Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Little French Poetry


J'aimerai toujours le temps des cerises.
C'est de ce temps-là que je garde au coeur
Une plaie ouverte,
Et dame Fortune, en m'étant offerte,
Ne saurait jamais calmer ma douleur.
J'aimerai toujours le temps des cerises
Et le souvenir que je garde au coeur.   
   -Jean-Baptiste Clement (1837-1903)

I will always love the time of cherries.
It's from those times that I hold in my heart
An open wound
and the offerings of Lady Luck
Can never soothe my pain.
I will always love the time of cherries
And the memory I hold in my heart. 

***

So fleeting, these simple pleasures, but these are what I am cherishing here away from the hustle and bustle of the city:

-almost total quiet, except for the crickets chirping, the rooster crowing in the morning, the occasional sheep bleating, and a bell chime or two from the neighboring villages
-the scent of honeysuckle that wafts over me every time I open the back door
-the golden light on the wheat fields in the afternoon
-the kids happily biking to through the medieval village with their French cousins
-white nights till about 10 p.m., then a gorgeous moon over the Normandy fields
-simple meals, ordinary talk, and laughter


No comments: