Saturday, November 22, 2008

Renovations


Renovation (′ren·ə′vā·shən): (1) the process of improving a structure (2) the process of restoring something to life, vigor, or activity. From Latin renovare, "make new again."

You'd think someone who restores people to consciousness and activity every day, who revives people for a living, would find renovation somewhat appealing, at least conceptually, right?

Wrong. I hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

But doesn't everybody, though, until the endpoint appears, and all is well again?

This is why my blogging has been so sporadic lately. I am renovating.

We are re-doing our kitchen, which was poorly designed and aesthetically bereft of any redeeming qualities. It is gutted. A new window is in, but the electrical work, cabinets, counters, sink, flooring, tiles, paint job, and appliance hookups are like a dream out-of-reach.

My job is undergoing renovations. It's a very long story, but I got to the point of resigning. But there are some major "renovations" on the horizon. The hospital administration has been supportive beyond my wildest imaginings. The chief of surgery asked me to reconsider. Some other surgeons and nurses have approached me and asked me to stay. The president of the medical staff urged me not to go. New leadership and restructuring under a well-run group seem very promising. It's been as stressful as gutting the kitchen. The endpoint isn't in view yet, so for now I'm still dealing with exposed pipes and sledge-hammered walls.

Some of my relationships - friendships old and newer - have undergone changes that have rocked my world. Like ripping down your own house, it's painful while it's happening, but if you can get to the point of saying out with the old and hello new, it's ultimately a gift.

On the up side: we did make some progress on the roof work we needed to do. Our shingles are replaced - better stuff, nicer color. We have a new window in an upper room in which we hope to create a cozy library with a beautiful view. It isn't all bad.

But it's stressful. I'm exhausted. I'll be glad when it's all over, and we can have some peace.

3 comments:

Resident Anesthesiologist Guy (RAG) said...

Good luck with all the changes. Sounds stressful.

T. said...

Thanks, RAG! Upheaval is a drag, but I've been in a "change is good" kind of mood anyway... :)

Lisa Johnson said...

Unfortunately I can identify with this post much more than I would prefer. I'm not sure how well I'm doing with all the changes. And unfortunately I'm not getting a new kitchen out of the deal either. *sigh* Okay, let me stop whining now.

Hopefully all the sharp edges with all your changes will smooth out very soon! : )