Monday, January 5, 2009

Chocolate, Kisses, and Cathedrals: A Day in San Francisco

On our way to Manila we've stopped to catch our breath in San Francisco.

We attended Epiphany Mass at the breathtaking Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption, where the Ruffati organ, with its 4842 pipes on 89 ranks and 69 stops, is incredible both to see and hear.



We visited Grace Cathedral as well, took in the view from the Top of the Mark at the posh Mark Hopkins Hotel, and took in some treats at Ghirardelli Square.



We boarded the historic ferry Eureka for a trip back in time, if not out of the pier. A hamburger and fries cost 35 cents back in the day, according to the ship's lunch menu!


We ended our journey across the city in the Mission District in front of the 1776 Mission Dolores, San Francisco's oldest building built by Spanish Franciscans.

San Francisco is lovely.

***


My daughter and I were amused by the "Kiss-o-meter" on the upper deck of the Eureka and it made me think of memorable movie kisses. I'd have to say (unable to resist an excuse to make a list) that for on-screen sizzle I distinctly recall

-Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche in Chocolat
-Jeremy Irons and Patricia Kaas in And Now, Ladies and Gentlemen
-Charleton Heston and Haya Harareet in Ben Hur, the second time

I'm sure if I thought about it enough I could come up with a few more...

5 comments:

Bardiac said...

Princess Bride! (At least it says it's one of the most romantic kisses ever in the dialog!)

Glad you had a good time in SF. Great city in all sorts of ways.

rlbates said...

Have a great trip! Congrats on making the medblog awards finalist list!

T. said...

Bardiac - Princess Bride, of course! Good addition.

Ramona - thanks! I may not have known this soon if you hadn't told me...tough keeping up on the road...

Unknown said...

I took my bride oh so many years ago to SF for our honeymoon. We stayed at the Red Victorian. It was a hoot! And, it still exists.

oboeinsight.com said...

I recognize some of those pictures!

We were in SF on January 3rd, and spent the day walking; we went from Union Square to Nob Hill to Russian Hill to (almost) Fisherman's Wharf and headed back. We, too, went into Grace Cathedral, as well as a Catholic Church (now I can't remember the name) in the North Beach area. I just love walking San Francisco. :-)

Have a safe and wonderful trip!